Unknown cause of the symptom of pain is first treated with analgesics and sometimes antibiotics whereas if there is known pathology the pain – it should be treated.
The pain related to pelvic region can be treated by following ways:
- They are also known as pain killers or pain relievers. They are employed in reducing pain and inflammation.
NSAIDs or non-steroidal anti- inflammatory drugs like ibrufen or aspirin have analgesics as well as anti-inflammatory properties. Antibiotics
- Pelvic pain caused due to any underlying infection is well treated with antibiotic medication. The most suitable antibiotic is decided by the antibiotic sensitive tests. Antidepressants
- Whether the patient is depressed or not, the treatment of chronic pelvic pain often requires the administration of antidepressants. Hormonal Medicines
- They are given if the pelvic pain is associated with menstrual cycle. This adjusts the hormonal balance in the body. Muscle Relaxants
- Spasmodic muscular pain may be relieved by the use of muscle relaxants. These relaxants effectively relax the muscles and reduce pain and spasm. Trigger Point Injections
-Steroidal injections are used in treating myofascial abdominal wall pain. Anesthetic injections may also be used which make the area numb and reduced local inflammation. Physical Therapy-
Application of different methods to reduce pain come under physical therapy like, heat, cold, pressure application or use of massages. Stretching exercises also prove to be effective in relieving pelvic pain. Other Treatments: Acupuncture
: This treatment is based on the belief that fluids flow via channels in our body. It involves the insertion of needles at specific points to relieve pain. One should always seek the services of a specialist and never do it on your own. Relaxation Therapy
: Relaxation therapy calms down the brain and relieves both physical and mental stress. It is quite effective in reducing pain. Surgical Treatment
: In cases, where adhesions are the cause of pelvic pain, surgery is done to remove adhesions. Once adhesions are removed, pain tends to subside. Counselling
: Pelvic pain is not only as source of physical distress but also an emotionally traumatizing condition. It influences our relationships with others and causes mood swings. Counselling, proves to be beneficial in understanding pain properly and also ways to deal with it. Prognosis of Pelvic pain in Females:
The prognosis of pelvic pain is quite unpredictable.
In some patients despite all the tests the cause of pain may not be found.
The pelvic pain arising due to vulvodynia, remains a mystery and difficult to treat.
Pain occurring due to uterine fibroids get relieved after surgery.
Once menopause commences the pain cause by endometriosis or uterine fibroids may diminish.
The pain or irritable bowel or interstitial cystitis are also difficult to treat.A Final Word:
Undoubtedly pelvic pain is a distressing and quite common condition met by women universally. It adversely influences a woman’s capability to work, her self esteem, her relationships with others and even her sexuality and sensuality. It can adversely affect the quality of life of a woman.