Homeopathy Treatment for Menopause
Due to controversies regarding hormone replacement therapy, there arose an awareness to opt for safer alternative therapies like homeopathy. HRT was sidelined and preference was given to a holistic approach where safe treatment alternatives along with lifestyle modifications provided the much-needed relief. Homeopathy emerged as a very popular and safe alternative.
Menopause signals the end of menstruation and fertility. Women undergoing menopause will not be able to have children naturally. Menopause is a very important turning point in a womenís life. The average age for menopause is around 50 yrs. However certain factors like smoking, genetics, or surgery to remove ovaries may cause menopause to occur early. A large number of women face many physical and psychological issues during menopause for which they seek treatment.
Homeopathy is a unique treatment that emphasizes on the balance between mind, body and vital force/energy [also referred to as Prana or Chi ] in the treatment of disease. When this balance is upset, signs and symptoms of disease occur. Homeopathy treatment strives to correct this imbalance by stimulating the body to heal itself.
The problems which a large number of women face during menopause include:
- Hair loss and thinning of hair
- Weight gain
- Depression / Mood disturbances
- Weakening of the bones
- Sleeping difficulty
- Memory problems
- Less interest in sex
- Itchy and dry skin
- Pain in joints and muscles
- Lack of bladder control especially when sneezing or laughing
- Hot Flushes - a sudden feeling of heat especially in the chest and face
The World Health Organization estimates that homeopathy is used by more than 500 million people worldwide, making it the second most widely used medicine in the world.
The homeopathy system of medicine was discovered by a German by the name of Samuel Hahnemann. A detailed list of all the physical and mental symptoms is made during Case Taking. This includes causative factors, nature of onset, progress of disease, and modalities that aggravate or ameliorate the symptoms. A matching homeopathic remedy is prescribed based on the totality of symptoms. As no two people are alike, homeopathic medicines prescribed for the same disease will also be different.
Homeopathy has a wide range of medicines to offer for the treatment of menopausal complaints. They are made from:
- Minerals &
- Animal sources
Sepia [Inky juice of Cuttlefish]
- This medicine is useful in slim built women with a narrow pelvis. They usually have yellowish brown spots on face, drooping eyelids and eyes that are surrounded by dark rings.
- They are easily irritated and often cry when telling their symptoms.
- These women are indifferent to their husband, kids and close family members who love them.
- There is a constant feeling of heaviness and dragging sensation in the lower abdomen. The women feel the need to provide external support to the pelvic region and hence they sit cross-legged to give artificial support to the uterus.
- Complaints of hot flushes which begin about the chest area and go upward to the head. These end in sweat, throbbing all over the body and a weak faint feeling.
- There is always a feeling of coldness even in a warm room.
- There is a tendency to skin eruptions especially in the bends of the elbows and knees.
- All the complaints are aggravated by light, noise, mental labor and motion. There is relief of symptoms from sitting with legs crossed, open air and in a dark room.
- There is severe throbbing headaches which are usually one-sided and frequently end in vomiting.
- This medicine is most suited for fat and flabby women who are sluggish both mentally and physically.
- It is useful for women whose intake of calcium in the diet is adequate but the body does not absorb and assimilate the calcium. This leadsto weak and brittle bones which tend to fracture easily.
- It is suited for women who are very apprehensive in nature. They have fears of misfortune, loss of reason and contagious disease.
- All complaints are worse with mental or physical exertion andworking in cold water.
- There is a general feeling of coldness especially in the feet which feel as ifcold and damp stockings were worn.
- A sour smell emits from all body discharges.
- Increased perspiration occurs especially in the head region.
- A bloating feeling in abdomen due to impaired digestion occurs which leads to an Increase in abdominal girth.
- There is physical weakness even on doing regular daily activities.
- There is strong craving for eggs and indigestible things like chalk and, mud.
- This medicine is most useful in hysterical women when the emotional element is mostly affected.
- The women have complaints, which can be traced back to the ill effects of grief and worry.
- The patient is noncommunicative with sobbing and sighing continuously. There is a desire to be alone with her grief and dwell upon her troubles in private.
- It is useful in hysteria and manic-panic attacks where there is a rapid change in the mental and physical condition to opposite extremes. The patient at one time is full of joy, which is followed suddenly by sadness and tears.
- Severe headache in one spot as if a nail was being driven into the side of the head. The headache often terminates with profuse flow of urine.
- All complaints increase after coffee, smoking, loss of sleep and grief.
- This medicine is very effective in severe depression faced by menopausal women.
- Women who require this medicine are very talkative and restless both physically and mentally.
- They have recurrent dreams of impending evil which leads to depression.
- There is severe throbbing pain in the head with characteristic opening and shut sensation in the head.
- They have pains like electric shocks in different parts of the body.
- This is one of the leading medicines for muscular and spasmodic pains.
Sanguinaria Canadensis [Blood Root]
- It is one of the often prescribed medicines for hot flashes during menopause.
- It is useful for women with disturbances in blood circulation, and who feel sick and faint when getting up from sitting position.
- The women have redness of cheeks from distension of blood vessels and a feeling as if all the blood is being pumped to the head and chest.
- They experience burning sensations as if from hot water.
- The complaints are caused by the sunís heat and relieved by darkness and sleep.
- They experience great soreness and stiffness of muscles especially those of the back, neck and right shoulder.
- It is useful in severe headaches which begin at the back of the head, spread over the head and settle over the right eye.
- This is an important homeopathic medicine for early menopause due to frequent pregnancies.
- It is indicated in thin women with a dusky and puffy face.
- It is useful in talkative and suspicious women who keep jumping from one topic to another.
- The woman may have religious insanity which leads to constantly praying and beseeching for her salvation.
- The woman may experience bouts of depression especially in the mornings after getting up from sleep.
- There is a feeling of suffocation on wearing a collar or anything tight around the throat and chest region.
- All complaints increase during and after sleep whereas there is a marked improvement of symptoms in the open air.
- Fainting spells may occur in sensitive women especially on exposure to sunlight.
- It is indicated in obese women with swelling over upper eyelids like little bags.
- There is excessive sweat, backache and weakness.
- The women have bloating of the stomach. Everything eaten appears to be converted to gas.
- There is Increased sensitivity to atmospheric changes and marked intolerance to cold weather.
- The women experience dryness and falling of hair.
- Complaints are worse in cold weather, on intake of coffee and at 3oí clock in morning.
- Complaints improve by slowly moving about and during the daytime.
- It is indicated in cases of depression and irritation of the nervous system.
- There is a nervous jerking movement of the feet and loud screaming out in sleep without being aware of it.
- The women have weak memory due to deficient brain power, and difficulty in comprehending and memorizing things.
- There is severe pain in neck and back due to holding the head in one position for a long time or any exertion with trembling and twitching of muscles.
- It is indicated when carefully selected medicines fail to act or when complaints relapse.
- It is suited for women who are lean, stoop-shouldered and prone to skin problems.
- It is useful for extremely dry and sensitive skin. Scratching the skin causes burning and offensive discharge especially when skin conditions have been suppressed with local applications.
- Standing is most uncomfortable position.
- Burning sensation occur throughout the body but especially in the palms and soles. The woman puts her feet out of bed covers to cool them off.
- There is a feeling of weakness and faintness followed by sweat especially around 11 am.
Ustilago Maydis [Corn smut]
- It is indicated in premenopausal complaints where there is irregular or protracted bleeding.
- There is a sensation of boiling water along the back.
Women undergoing Menopause are also advised to:
- Increase dietary intake of calcium and vitamin D. Dairy products such as milk, cheese and yoghurt contain high levels of calcium. Regular intake of broccoli, kale, figs, oranges, tofu and almonds will improve calcium levels in vegans.
- Exercise Regularly. It strengthens the bones by reducing the calcium loss. Women who exercise have lesser chances of developing osteoporosis. Physical activities such as brisk walking and weight training are very beneficial for menopausal and post-menopausal women.
- Include soy foods and flax seeds in the diet. These contain natural phytoestrogens [plant estrogens]. These have proved to be beneficial in alleviating the symptoms of menopausal women.
- Avoid hot flash triggers such as deep fried foods, spicy foods, alcohol, hot beverages like coffee, tea, and other stimulants.
- Reduce stress. Consider meditation, music, dance, or any other enjoyable activity for stress relief.
Experts agree that the best and safest way to treat menopause comes from the right combination of lifestyle changes and alternative medicine.