1. Which specialist doctor treats Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)?
A Medical Gastro-enerologist generally treats the condition.
2. Do certain foods cause IBS?
True food allergy being a cause of IBS is rare. Intolerance to certain food items can make patients feel worse. No single food group has been implicated as a cause of IBS. Foods such as wheat, yeast, nuts, eggs, and dairy products may, however may have an association with IBS.
3. What about milk and milk products?
Milk and milk products trouble you only if you have lactose intolerance. In that case, symptoms of IBS may aggravate.
4. Can stress cause IBS?
The exact cause of IBS is not known. But a stress free life can relieve the symptoms produced by IBS.
5. Is there a specific medication that can cure IBS?
Unfortunately the answer is NO. Only symptomatic treatment is available.
6. Will IBS persist throughout my life?
Lifelong symptoms occur. Symptoms come and go, sometimes with prolonged remissions.