Preparing Patient for Surgery
1. Informed consent- written consent is obtained from the patient prior to performing the surgery.
2. It is recommended that the patient take nothing by mouth (food, water, etc.) for at least 6 hours before the scheduled operation or after midnight if the operation is planned in the first few hours of the morning.
4. A sedative maybe useful to relieve the anxiety of surgery.
5. The Abdomen and genital area maybe shaved and prepared for the surgery.
6. Before surgery or during the previous night a bath maybe advisable. During the bath thorough cleaning of the abdomen and genital area with soap and water a few times can help in lowering the bacterial count and lessen the chances of any infection from surgery.
On the evening before the operation a light, easily digestible meal is advised to reduce the risk of vomiting and aspiration (inhaling fluids) while under anesthesia.