Anxiety Disorder

Rating : 12345
Rate This Article : 1 2 3 4 5
G J 4
A -A +

Treatment of Anxiety Disorder

A combination of medicine and cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) works best for patients with anxiety disorder.

Medications that may be used include -

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are the choice of drugs for treating anxiety disorders.

Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) can also be used.

Antidepressants and some anti-seizure drugs can be used in severe cases.

Benzodiazepines such as alprazolam, clonazepam and lorazepam may be used for short-term if antidepressants do not help enough with symptoms. Long-term use can lead to dependence.

A medicine called buspirone may also be used.

Cognitive-behavioral therapy -

It helps the patient understand his behavior and how to gain control over it. During the therapy a trained mental health professional helps the patient with -

Understanding and gaining control of his distorted views of life stressors, such as other people's behavior or life events.

Recognizing and replacing panic-causing thoughts.

Decreasing the sense of helplessness.

Managing stress and relaxing when symptoms occur.

Avoid thinking that minor worries will develop into severe problems.

Progressive relaxation therapy -

Tensing and relaxing individual muscle groups

Deep breathing exercises

Dietary and lifestyle changes -

Avoid caffeine and illicit drugs.

Exercise, rest and good nutrition can help reduce the impact of anxiety.

You May Also Like

View All

Show More Related Topics y


Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions
Is "Anxiety" a Psychiatric illness with other illness also is subject to Exclusion in Paying Claim or cashless Facility even though the Policy is continuously held since 2002 ? Kindly reply & suggest Website or Provide Link in where such Law, Act & Regulations can be Read. where it is mentioned ?
jkgoyel Thursday, May 6, 2010
ihave gad problam
padam Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Ask an Expert

If you have a question about health related issues, you can now post it in our Ask An Expert section on our community website and get answers from our panel of experts.

Join Our Online Health Community:

Recommended Groups Members Related Discussions
By registering with Medindia you become part of our global health community. Make new friends and share and discuss your health issues, with 199400 other members across 445 support groups.