While hives are unpredictable may not be preventable but simple measures can help lessen the symptoms and sometimes avoid its occurrence. In case of a previous history care must be taken to avoid the allergy - causing substance. Some people where anxiety or nervousness causes it, relaxation and breathing exercises can help.
• If starting a new drug be aware that it can cause a rash
• Avoid scratching affected areas
• If there is a previous history of allergy or family history inform the doctor when he prescribes you a new drug
• Avoid irritating/tight clothing,
• Avoid harsh lotions, soaps and detergents
• Avoid extreme heat/cold
• Avoid alcohol (causes skin flushing)
Remember that in 5 to 10 percent a particular food item can aggravate or act as trigger to worsen the problem. The list of common food allergen includes - nuts, shellfish, prawns, peanut butter, eggs, strawberries and yeast. Preservatives include azo dyes and benzoates (common preservatives in fruit products and fruit drinks). Common medication include – aspirin, sulpha and penicillin
In a research from Netherland it was found that almost 50% of the people with chronic problem where no cause was found the allergy were due to aspirin or tartrazine and benzoates (avoid preservatives loaded food items).
If you suffer from hives always make it a habit to read the labels of the canned food items you buy and look for the list of additives. Also remember that peas and bananas also contain benzoic acid and if you are allergic to benzoates avoid these food items.