» » Diagnosis and Treatment of Filariasis


Rating : 12345
Rate This Article : 1 2 3 4 5
G J 4
A -A +

Diagnosis and Treatment of Filariasis

Filariasis is diagnosed by direct demonstration of the microfilariae in the nocturnal blood sample or skin specimen. Diethylcarbamazine (DEC) is the recommended medicine for treating filariasis.

How do you Diagnose Filariasis?

The commonly used method to diagnose filariasis includes-
  • Direct demonstration of microfilariae in blood or skin specimens. The blood sample is usually collected at night as microfilariae have nocturnal periodicity.
  • Detection of antibodies by immunodiagnostic tests
  • Detection of circulating filarial antigen (CFA).
Diagnosis of Filariasis  Blood Sample

How do you Treat Filariasis?

Diethylcarbamazine (DEC) is the recommended medicine for treating filariasis. It kills microfilaria and does not have any effect on the adult worms. Thus, it only helps to control transmission of infection from one person to other. It may cause a reaction in some individuals. Ivermectin or albendazole may be useful in some patients.

Good hygiene of the affected part prevents the worsening of the lymphedema and secondary bacterial skin infections.

The affected limb should be kept elevated and regular exercises should be done to improve the lymph flow.

While medicines are available to treat filaria, the gross swelling of the leg makes a person look noticeable and ugly. Hence, it is better to protect from the bites of filaria mosquitoes. Use of aerosols; mosquito repellent creams, mats, coils; nets and prevention of breeding of mosquitoes with better practice of hygiene and sanitation can help prevent filariasis.

Filariasis Prevention - Mosquito Repellent

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions
I have a swollen legs since I am 10 years old as it increasing gradually till now am 30 years. i under go filariasis midnight test when i was 11 and the results became negative. deciding to take another test at this moment and the result came positive. what is your advice for this? what is the best medicine I should take to recover?
Mah1985 Tuesday, March 1, 2016
i have problem in my scrotem it is getting swolen tightly and give me pain very much after taking antibiotics i get recover give me prescribed dr and suggest
vikash09 Sunday, November 1, 2015
My Mothers age is 58 years old. As per doctor's assumption she is suffering from fialria disease. Her one of leg is very heavy which is 3 times the other difficult . Not able to sit in floor also very difficult to walk. Before 4 months , she has suffered from kidney probelm , where dialysis has done 7 times . After that the legs are swollen. We want to know where the treatment and diagnosis is happening
charansapcrm Wednesday, June 10, 2015
Iam 55 yrs.old male. colostomy surgery done for rectum ca in 2005. Now suffering with filariasis. Scrotum swollen and somtimes discharge secretion. Hetrazan - 100 mg. tablets 3 tim es prescribed. Can I come for further treatment
jahufersadique Saturday, September 6, 2014
i am 30 years old, I am not sure but i think i am suffering from filaria, because last 6 month my left hand and breast very tight and swelling so plz give me suggestion.
sony13 Monday, July 21, 2014
My mother[43years] is suffering from filaria from 26 years. She is used to take BINZATHIN PENCILLINI LA12 lnjunction for every 3 weeks and some tablets on the consult of a doctor((she does not use those medicine properly)). Her left leg seems big(elaphantasis).,from last 8 years it increases a lot. Advice any doctor in Andhra Pradesh,chennai,or bangalore
HAnusha Saturday, May 17, 2014
My wife who is 32 years old and suffering from Filaria since 10 years. Please advice me the name of Doctor or hospital in UP or West Bengal.

mahmoodahmad Monday, May 5, 2014
Sir, My wife who is 37 years old and suffering from Filaria since 18 year. Kindly advice me the name of Doctor or Hospital of West Bengal Tarak Nath Sinha Roy, Domkal, Murshidabad, [W.B]
taraknathsinharoy Thursday, April 10, 2014
I want to know if FILARIA spreads easily if one of the family members is suffering from it. If so, is there any preventive vaccine or medicine? What precautions are required to prevent from spreading to other family members?
DBRMEDINDIA Wednesday, February 12, 2014
yes if one of family member suffers from filariasis other can be easily infected.every family member should take single dose of medicine DEC300mg with albendazol800mg on 5th june every year i,e world filaria day.
shubhakanchi Friday, February 14, 2014
my wife is diabetic along with filarious. taking hetrazon 100mgtablets for many years.repetated infection is troubling her lot.any treatment at chennai or mumbai. she is 62 advice ashok kumar mob. 07738184322.
kumar_mum Monday, February 3, 2014
you can contact to the treatment center of intigreted medicine for filariasis at institute of applied dermatology kasaragod kerla.
shubhlaxmi Friday, February 14, 2014
View all Comments

Ask an Expert

If you have a question about health related issues, you can now post it in our Ask An Expert section on our community website and get answers from our panel of experts.

You May Also Like

View All