Cervical Spondylosis/ Degenerative Neck Disease
- What are the Causes of Cervical Spondylosis?
- What are the Symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis?
- How can we Diagnose Cervical Spondylosis?
- How can Cervical Spondylosis be Treated?
- Cervical Spondylosis Exercises
- Cervical Spondylosis Diet
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Latest Publication and Research
Frequently Asked Questions
Cervical Spondylosis is a degenerative disease affecting the joints of the cervical vertebrae (Bones of the back of neck) with deposition of minerals in the discs (cushions) , which is present in between the vertebral bones.
2.Which doctor should I see for cervical spondylosis?
You can see an orthopedic doctor or a general physician.
3. What are the kinds of occupation which induces cervical spondylosis?
Drivers of vehicles
Occupations involving carrying and lifting heavy weights on their heads, for example, building construction workers.
4. How does a person's life style cause cervical spondylosis?
Activities like reading and writing for prolonged period demands a continuous muscle and ligaments tension and can result in neck strain. Some of the activities that cause gradual strain of the structures of the neck leading to neck pain and stiffness include-
Habit of holding the telephone on one shoulder and leaning at it for long time.
Sitting or standing still for long period.
Use of poorly designed desks and chairs can cause abnormal stress to the neck.
Driving continuously for long hours.
Sleeping in awkward position and with many pillows below the neck and shoulder.
5. Suggest a home based simple posture exercise?
Stand in front of the mirror with your back touching the walls. Try to push the wall with your back and neck. This exercise will correct your posture.
6. What are the doís and doníts for a person with cervical spondylosis?
Avoid bad roads
Use firm collars while traveling
Do use firm mattress, thin pillow or butterfly shaped pillow
Do turn to one side while getting up from lying down
Do not sit for prolonged period of time in stressful postures
Do not lift heavy weights on head or back
Do not turn from your body but turn your body moving your feet first
Do not lie flat on your stomach.