There are some methods which are projected as measures to prevent the development of breast cancer.
- Breast self exam may not be a very specific method of diagnosing breast cancer but it would familiarize you with your breasts and could well be the first step towards detecting changes in the them. Ask your doctor to tell you how a breast exam is done
- It should be mandatory for women above the age of 40 to undergo breast cancer screening as this would enable early detection. Regular check up by a health professional between ages 20 and 39 at least every 3 years and after age 40, women should have a check up by a health professional every year
- Avoid alcohol and if that is not possible drink in moderation
- Exercise everyday for at least 1 hour
- Limit the use of Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) drugs as far as possible as they increase the risk of breast cancer. Find out more about these drugs including their pros and cons from your doctor. Control weight gain as obesity is a high risk factor
- For those in the high risk category, preventive (estrogen–blocking) medications and preventive mastectomy are sensible options
Many risk factors cannot be controlled. Some experts in the field of diet and cancer agree that changes in diet and lifestyle may reduce the incidence of cancer generally. Efforts have focused on early detection since breast cancer is more easily treated and often curable if it is found early.