» » FAQ - Basal Cell Cancer

Basal Cell Cancer of the Skin

Rating : 12345
Rate This Article : 1 2 3 4 5
G J 4
A -A +


1. Which doctors treat basal cell cancer?

Basal cell cancer is diagnosed and treated by a dermatologist or skin specialist. A surgeon especially one trained in microscopic surgery may also participate in the treatment.

2. Can basal cell cancer result in death of the patient?

Though basal cell cancer is the most common type of skin cancer, it accounts for less than 0.1% of all the deaths due to cancer.

3. How can one differentiate between squamous and basal cell cancer?

Squamous and basal cell cancer can be differentiated on the basis of location and clinical features, though it may be difficult at times. Biopsy helps in definite differentiation between the two basal cell cancer has cells that resemble those at the base of the epidermal layer of the skin, whereas squamous cell cancer is made of cells that resemble the upper layer of epidermis. Squamous cell cancers can spread to distant organs, whereas basal cell cancers usually spread only locally.

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions
I was diagnosed with large basal cell ca tumor on ear last week. Recoomended partial resection of ear. Have noticed accellerated growth of nodule since taking methotrexate 15mg ea Friday for severe inflammation with RA. Should I proceed with surgery and what about continuing methotrexate....Rheumatologist says methotrexate is treatment for cancer, continue taking it. Thank you for your advice Ingrid Mullins
ingrid37 Saturday, November 3, 2012
I have an ulcerated basal cell carcinoma near my eye. You mentioned the prognosis is worse if the bcc is near the eye. Why is this?
schmerr Monday, June 4, 2012
very well written article covering all aspects of Rodent ulcer or basal cell cancer
prema Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ask an Expert

If you have a question about health related issues, you can now post it in our Ask An Expert section on our community website and get answers from our panel of experts.

You May Also Like

View All

Show More Related Topics y