» » Ankylosing Spondylitis - Frequently Asked Questions

Ankylosing Spondylitis

Rating : 12345
Rate This Article : 1 2 3 4 5
G J 4
A -A +

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I consult for ankylosing spondylitis?

You can consult a rheumatologist, general physician or orthopedic surgeon.

2. Does ankylosing spondylitis affect all ages and in a similar manner?

Ankolysing spondylitis can affect all ages but there is no specific manner in which it can affect an individual.

Bullet Men- In men, it usually starts from the pelvis, and then gradually affects the spine, chest wall, hips, shoulder and feet.

Bullet Women- In women, it is usually mild and difficult to diagnose. It often starts from the pelvis and gradually affects hips, knees, ankles and wrist.

Bullet Children- In children, boys are affected more than girls. They rarely suffer from back pain. The areas like hip, knee, heels and great-toe are affected first, and the spine is affected later.

3. Does ankylosing spondylitis in a pregnant woman cause any complication to the mother or her baby?

Ankylosing spondylitis does not cause in any problem for mother or baby. However, some medications taken by the mother can be harmful to the baby. Consult and discuss with your doctor.

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions
I am 67 years of age now, when I turned 60 I suddenly started get stiff in my lower limbs and my right hip joint would pain if I sat in one place long or when I used to drive for 2/3 hours at a stretch. Just after my 63rd birthday I fell ill with very high temperature going upto 103 for almost 3/4 days and had to be moved to a hospital, even after all the possible tests nothing came out but I had excruciating pain in my body below the hips and could not even walk without help. After consulting a lot of doctors and research institutions I was discovered with AS condition. After trying all the allopathic medicines in the World finally one Ayurvedic 'Pudia' to start the day with warm water, that I got from a hakim in Murthal sitting at a Dhabba "Ahuja No-1" by the name of Vijay Rohila 09896732553, has turned my life into a new World, not only me I have now started giving to anybody, free of cost, who complains of such a problem and hundreds have started thanking me for it. Trying as a last resort does not cost too much it might turn your life aswell!!
tutu22 Sunday, March 16, 2014
I am 19 year old, but my father's friend suffering from this problem that's why i have great knowledge of this. This AS is very slowly growth . u does not know your growth is where rich in your body that why i suggest to you must do swimming and tack medicine INDOCAP-SR, or DONICA-SR and you must tack care of your spine and at night you never tack cousin below the your head, if u ignore this then your spine will damage rapidly.
ravishah20 Wednesday, September 18, 2013
i am 27yrs of age...n have been diagnosed AS 4yrs back. i am taking Sulfasalazine regularly but the stiffness is increasing day by i m having problem in breathing...i cant sleep properly and the capacity to do work is decreasing day by day..... Due to that pain some times i felt fever,fatigue,nausea.I have the pain in lumber,hip region,shoulder,chest pain,both legs and extreme pain in neck. And intake of medicines is causing gastroenteritis. please suggest something that can be more helpful..and how good is steam cell treatment.
mini1184 Monday, January 23, 2012
hello, i m 4m pune. I am suffering by AS from last 8 years. I had concerned rheumatologist they had given me endomethacin tablets.Rite now i am taking the endomethacine medicines, physiotherapy and also doing the excersize regularly,but from last 3 months I have extream pain and I cant sleep properly in night for more than 3 hours. My age 24. I have the pain in lumber,hip region,shoulder,chest pain,both legs and extream pain in neck. Due to that pain some times i felt fever,fatigue,nausea. So please refer me something that will be helpful for me,so i will get pain relief. Thanks
nash21 Wednesday, December 1, 2010
hi, came 2 know abt ur problem, i m patel c d, frm aurangabad practicing pranic healing, doing treatment on a person age 40 since 6 mnths, he is feeling better now, i suggest u 2 find a pranic healer in pune and get treated from them also...
patelcd Thursday, June 30, 2011
You are young to have ankylosing spondylitis this severe. Other drug options may not be any easier on you. Many patients find measurable relief from yoga or Pilates. Also many patients find some relief from omega e fatty acids.


arthritis-guy Sunday, November 6, 2011
hi i m Nida...i m a patient of A.S.doctors suggest me to the surgery of hip joints replacment.i want to know that is it harmfull for me?my age is 25 now...
Nida_28 Saturday, August 8, 2009
your age is only 25y.i suggest dat u go 2 the physiotherapy rehabilitation and do ex. regurely.
guest Monday, July 12, 2010
I m also a sufferer of AS since past 5 years.I had a very bad condition I started swimming and it helped Me a lot.also dont do the surgery if it is not needed as I consulted it from a doctor.becoz ur age is still less increase ur span as much as u can and then do it when it is is a frank opinion
Chetan666 Thursday, September 22, 2011
Im a practising consultant in Paediatrics and would like to know the efficacy and safety of aceclofenac in active ankylosing spondylitis, the max duration of therapy
agrawalsantosh Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Are there any doctors that specialize in Ankylosing Spondylitis? My brother has been told there is nothing that can be done! There has to be something or some doctor that can help him before he has no movement and can't breath any more. Please some one lead us to someone that can help us! Thanks, Ellen
Ellen120 Wednesday, January 28, 2009
my doughter is suffering from Ankolysing spondylitis,i have given the treatment of cytotron,i have found some improvement,if you are intrested please contact me over mail for futher details.stheesh.
satheeshgupta Sunday, March 8, 2009
I am interested to know. How do I contact you. No details are available. By the way are yo a doc?
guest Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Hallo, i have read your views. i'm also suffering from this disease so i want to know about cytotron if possible plz. send me mail at
guest Wednesday, February 3, 2010
i m also suffered from a.s plz help me my age is only 22 plz help me. how do i contact u.
guest Thursday, July 15, 2010
i want to know about cytron

robin_kala Wednesday, February 8, 2012
try remicade but not 4 ever very speed reaction my brother also sufferring just like ur's brother uptill now no way. i m givein 1 syrub which had shown little effect
babadisco Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Hi , I am Gautam Jain, from yamuna nagar,Haryana, my no is 09992015160. Please contact me , I will suggest you my doctor's name. His name is Dr. Sandeep Grover in Meerut. U.P. You cqn take appointment by contacting at 09219884868. All of u, Get well soon and also pray for me
Gautam_Jain Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Ask an Expert

If you have a question about health related issues, you can now post it in our Ask An Expert section on our community website and get answers from our panel of experts.

Join Our Online Health Community:

Recommended Groups Members Related Discussions
By registering with Medindia you become part of our global health community. Make new friends and share and discuss your health issues, with 206168 other members across 445 support groups.

You May Also Like

View All