- An individual with two cell types or more, comprising of different chromosome number or structure
- A communicative procedure that undertakes to deal with the problems that rise in a family with the occurrence or the risk of occurrence of a genetic abnormality
- A pedigree involves recording a family's history and making use of a standard set of symbols to represent the status of each member of the family
- An allele is an alternative form of a gene loated on a given locus of a chromosome
- Genes are located on the chromosomes and carry the information representing a protein
- Chromosomes are structures made up of DNA and proteins found in the cells of all organisms.The number of chromosomes is species- specific. In humans it is 46.
- The DNA is the basic unit of heredity and is known as the blue print of life. It carries the genetic codes which stores the necessary information for all organisms.
- Genotype indicates the genetic constitution of an organism
- Phenotype refers to the physical appearance of an organism which is controlled by the genotype and the enviornment
- A cell having only one set of chromosomes, ie. 23 numbers in humans
- Having two sets of chromosomes, 46 numbers in humans
- An offspring of parents belonging to two different species, example mule which is the offspring of a horse and donkey
- An inheritable change in the gene or the chromosome
- An organism having a normal phenotype
- An organism harboring a mutation
- A condition, which arises due to the presence of an extra chromosome. An example is Down syndrome, where the individual has an extra chromosome 21
- A division by which the cells reproduce, wherein the resultant cells are the replica of the parent cell.
- A special kind of cell division, called reduction division, that takes place in the testes and the ovaries, which produces eggs and sperms that are haploid
- A marriage between two closely related individuals
- When an organism has the regular chromosome number, example 46 numbers in humans, it is euploid.
- When an organism has an abnormal number of chromosomes as in Down Syndrome, it is known as aneuploidy.