It is the most commonly used technique and can be done as an outpatient service. It is very useful incase of infertility caused due to low count or decreased motility of the sperm. It also enables the sperm to bypass the cervical barrier. This is very valuable incase of a deficient cervical mucus or an unfriendly cervical mucus that is toxic to the sperm.
IUI merely increases the probability of fertilization between a healthy sperm and oocyte. Technique:
It is performed by passing a sterile catheter containing the sperm through the cervix and into the uterine cavity. The sperms are then injected directly into the uterus. You may be required to remain lying down with elevated hips for about 45 minutes. Advantages:
1. Quick procedure can be done in the out patient clinic itself. Does not need medical admission.
2. Relatively less invasive and uncomplicated than IVF.
3. It is a more natural way of fertility treatment.
4. Less expensive when compared to other advanced treatment options.Disadvandages:
The fertilization outcome cannot be predicted because the fertilization takes place inside the human body. Success Rate:
1. The pregnancy rates for IUI treatment cycles lie somewhere around 15-20% per cycle.
2. The average time frame for IUI is about three or 6 treatment cycles, provided all other parameters are taken into consideration or treated. Risks Involved:
Superovulation, commonly used in conjunction with AI, is associated with mood or behavioral changes in women. In addition, it may also be responsible for multiple pregnancies. This also increases the risk of low birth weight babies. It can also result in the formation of ovarian cysts, leading to abdominal pain. Infection:
The procedure has to be done under strict aseptic conditions. Although the process of sperm preparation reduces the chances of infection, the procedure can result in infection in less than 1 % of the cases. Symptoms of infection include lower abdominal pain, fever, vaginal discharge or bleeding. This can be treated with oral anti-biotics in a majority of the cases.