Tequila: Nutrition FactsAlthough nutrients are not many, tequila has high amount of calories. A single serving of tequila could give you approximately 95 - 100 calories depending upon its type. However a margarita would completely change its nutrient status giving a whopping 500 calories.
Tequila contains special sugars called agavins that are shown to have many health benefits. Apart from these sugars the spirit does not contain any carbohydrate, fats, proteins and other nutrients.
Health Benefits of TequilaOne may wonder what the benefits of drinking tequila are, but there are some amazing benefits that it offers for good health. Take a look at those:
- Helps lose weight: Alcohols are known to
be a bane in maintaining ideal body weight owing to the high calorie content.
The sugars, Agavins, in tequila stand out from the rest. These sugars are more
complex and are less refined molecules which cannot be digested by human
digestive system. Agavins have weight loss properties which promote faster fat
metabolism and reduce body weight. There are no carbs and fats in tequila making it a good choice for weight management. It lowers cholesterol levels and control blood pressure as well.
This is only true when tequila is taken in limited quantities once in a while. Frequent consumption can reverse the benefits.
- Controls diabetes: Agavins in Tequila are glycemic-index friendly and help in insulin production. It lowers glucose levels in blood controlling type 2 diabetes. Tequila can be used by diabetics who abstain from alcohol because of high amount of sugars. Agavins being indigestible do not increase the sugar level in the body and hence good for controlling diabetes.
- Good for gut: Agavins act as fiber while passing through intestine and aid digestion process. A tequila shot before and after meals could help increase appetite and faster metabolism rate. It also acts as probiotic compound favoring the growth of good bacteria in the gut. Tequila supplies good bacteria to your stomach, which maintain a health digestive system. These benefits are observed only when one drinks small amounts of tequila.
- Prevents dementia: Drinking alcohol in moderate quantities helps reduce the likeliness of developing neurological disorders like dementia. Tequila increases the production of endorphins and can also lift the mood. Drinking tequila or other alcohols in moderation can decrease the risk of developing dementia, however drinking high levels of alcohol increase the risk of developing neurological diseases.
- Improves bone health: Tequila increases calcium absorption in blood and thus makes bones stronger. It is beneficial in improving calcium reserves in the body reducing the chance of chronic bone diseases like osteoporosis. Women taking small amount of tequila can avoid fragile and brittle bones at later age as calcium absorption decreases more significantly in women than men.
- Induces sleep: Alcohols calm nerves and soothe brain activities that increase anxiety. But again this is true for only limited quantity intake. Tequila is a good option to reduce anxiety and curb insomnia. It relaxes the body and induces better sleep.
- No hangovers: One problem with most alcohol is the after effects or head banging hangovers. This might not be the case while drinking tequila. A good quality will not leave you with a hangover, but will instead remove stress.
- Benefits people with colon diseases: Tequila goes down to the colon easily and disrupted because of the indigestible sugars present in it. This quality makes it a good choice for treating bowel disorders and chronic diseases as Crohn’s disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and colitis. Agavins take the necessary drugs along with it surpassing stomach acids straight to the colon where they could effectively treat the diseases.
- Helps Fight Cholesterol: Agavins have the property of fiber and help lower the levels of triglycerides and cholesterol in blood.
- Numbs Pain: Research studies show that tequila dilates the blood vessels resulting in better blood flow thererby minimizing pain levels.
Fresh Lemon Margarita
- 1-2 ounce 100% agave tequila (prefer silver or blanco)
- 1 tsp ground sea salt
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- Lime slice to garnish
- In a plate sprinkle the salt and rub a lime slice on the edge of the glass. Now roll the glass edge through the salt to stick it to the edges. You can roll only half of the glass too.
- Now in a drink shaker add ice cubes and pour in tequila, lime juice, orange juice and agave nectar to it.
- Shake well and pour it in the ready glass.
- Garnish with a lemon slice clinging it to the glass rim.
Always drink alcohol in moderation. So if you are tempted for alcohol and still worry for your health then Tequila is the drink for you. Cheers!
Nutrition Facts for Tequila
|Calcium, Ca||0 mg||0 %|
|Copper, Cu||0.04 mg||2.1 %|
|Iron, Fe||0.02 mg||0.11 %|
|Magnesium, Mg||7 mg||1.75 %|
|Manganese, Mn||0.01 mg||0.7 %|
|Phosphorus, P||10 mg||1 %|
|Potassium, K||10 mg||0.29 %|
|Selenium, Se||0 mcg||0 %|
|Sodium, Na||57 mg||2.38 %|
|Zinc, Zn||0.6 mg||4 %|
|Vitamin A||97 IU||1.94 %|
|Vitamin C||19.3 mg||32.17 %|
|Vitamin B6||0.05 mg||2.5 %|
|Riboflavin||0.02 mg||0.94 %|
|Thiamin||0.04 mg||2.53 %|
|Folate, DFE||11 mcg||2.75 %|
|Niacin||0.19 mg||0.95 %|
|Fiber||0 g||0 %|
|Cholesterol||0 mg||0 %|
|View all +|