What is the Bulletproof Diet?
The main thrust of this diet is making right food choices providing maximum nutrition and minimal inflammation, that keep you lean, muscular and energetic along with warding off diseases and improving mental alertness.
Revolving around eating Bulletproof foods – high amounts of healthy fats, moderate amounts of high-quality protein and organic vegetables, this diet aims at creating incredible energy levels and weight loss.
Guidelines of the Bulletproof DietThe Bulletproof Diet recommends eating 50 to 60% calories from healthy fats (such as coconut oil, avocado, grass-fed butter), 20% from protein and the remaining calories from vegetables.
The foods are arranged in a spectrum for making correct food choices. Eating more foods belonging to the Bulletproof zone (green color) will provide maximum health benefits.
Foods to be Included:
Organic non-starchy vegetables, nuts, protein powders, grass-fed meat, pastured eggs, healthy fats like grass-fed butter, coconut oil, avocado and ghee.
Foods to be Avoided:
Grains and legumes, vegetable oils, pasteurized dairy, sugar, soy, alcohol, industrially raised meats, sodas, juices, farmed seafood, dried fruits and any food cooked in a microwave.
The main principles of the Bulletproof diet are:
- Start the day with Bulletproof coffee to boost energy levels, optimize fat burning via ketosis and keep hunger pangs away. Bulletproof coffee is prepared using Upgraded Coffee Beans, which are low in mycotoxins, and 1-2 tablespoons each of Brain Octane Oil and grass-fed unsalted butter. Brain Octane Oil is the shortest of Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) which converts into ketone energy and can be utilized by the brain faster than other fats, without elevating cholesterol levels. The healthy fats in this coffee promote stable energy levels and optimum functioning of the brain.
- Intermittent Fasting - Limiting food consumption between 2 - 8 pm, thus spurring fat loss and promoting muscle building.
- Keep a gap of 15-18 hours between last night’s dinner and next day’s lunch.
- Protein Fasting Once a Week – Keeping protein intake to 20-25 grams in a day to cleanse the cells without muscle loss.
- Eliminate intake of starch and gluten.
- Eat one serving of fruit daily. Avoid eating fruits like papaya, guava, cantaloupe, banana, mango, grapes, figs, apples and melons and opt for berries, lemons and avocado instead.
Bulletproof Diet Plan BenefitsSome of the benefits of following the Bulletproof Diet are:
- No calorie counting
- No measuring portion sizes
- Promotes intake of vegetables
- Encourages intake of healthy fats, particularly Omega-3 fats and medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) which benefit cardiovascular and brain health
- Encourages healthy cooking styles
- Eliminates intake of junk food and preserved/canned food
Bulletproof Diet Plan LimitationsThe limitations of the Bulletproof Diet are:
- Encourages 50-60% calorie intake from dietary fats which will result in cardiovascular diseases and elevated cholesterol levels
- Lack of calorie counting and portion control will lead to weight gain
- Cannot be followed on a long-term basis
- Various foods, especially grains, are excluded which can create nutrient deficiencies
- Doesn’t encourage exercising
- Tough for vegetarians and vegans to follow since it eliminates grains, legumes and soy
- Expensive to follow – Grass-fed meat or Bulletproof coffee powder are very expensive products
- Not suitable for diabetics since fasting for long duration elevates cortisol, which raises blood sugar levels
Sample Menu Plan:
- Breakfast- Bulletproof Coffee
- Lunch- Taco salad - Made with grass-fed beef, lettuce, carrots, cabbage and avocado
- Dinner- Smoked salmon with sautéed greens
- Bedtime- Fruit
Bulletproof RecipesCoconut-berry Panna Cotta
- 1 cup fresh blueberries and strawberries
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons stevia
- 2 tablespoons Grass-Fed Bulletproof CollaGelatin
- 2 teaspoons vanilla powder
- 4 tablespoons grass-fed unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- Sliced strawberries – for garnishing
- Keep both the berries in a deep-sided dish.
- Heat 1 cup coconut milk, stevia and gelatin in a saucepan over medium heat, until the gelatin dissolves.
- Blend the remaining coconut milk, vanilla powder, butter and oil in a mixer.
- Add the gelatin mixture, shredded coconut to the coconut and vanilla mixture and blend again.
- Pour this mixture over the berries.
- Place the dish in a refrigerator for an hour to set.
- Top with sliced strawberries. Serve chilled.