Health Benefits of Mustard Oil
Some of the featured benefits are as follows-
• Reduces Risk of Cardiovascular Disease: A recent comparative study done on varieties of edible oils revealed that mustard oil reduced the risk of Cardio vascular diseases by 70 percent, so mustard oil cuts down the risk of heart diseases if used in moderation by lowering cholesterol levels within the body.
• Stimulates Digestion: This oil is known as a stimulant and helps the intestine to produce digestive juices, which increase the peristaltic movement of the food, and hence the digestion process. Also the same process helps in increasing appetite by increasing production of gastric juices in our system.
• Reduces Risk of Cancer: Some studies have shown that mustard oil has a particular type of phytonutrient that fights against Colorectal and Gastrointestinal Cancers.
• Antibacterial, Antifungal and Anti-inflammatory Action: Mustard oil has got an antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory action as well. The antibacterial and antifungal properties work well against rashes and skin infections. Its anti-inflammatory properties help in easing the condition of Irritable bowel syndrome by reducing the inflammation in lining of the stomach.
• Relieves Cold and Cough: Also mustard oil has proved useful in relieving cold and cough, when applied onto chest or inhaled for its strong aroma, it helps in removing phlegm from the respiratory tract.
• Used for Massaging: It gives a good protection against harsh UV rays. That is why mustard oil is used as a famous massaging agent for infants as well as grownups. For infants, it improves weight, length, mid arm and mid leg circumferences. It gives rejuvenation and lustre to skin. Mustard oil is a very strong stimulant and mustard oil massage helps stimulate blood circulation to the skin. The oil is warming to the skin and will cause the massaged area to flush pink because of the increased blood flow.
• Good for Skin and Hair: This beneficial oil has got high levels of Vitamin E, which helps the skin from ageing and against wrinkles. Also it has been reported that it acts as a sunshield if applied on the skin. Mustard oil is commonly used for massaging the hair scalp as well. Many researches have shown that mustard oil works as a “hair vitalizer” and prevents hair loss and early greying of hairs.
• Relieves Joint Pain: It has an added advantage of relieving pain especially in case of Arthritis; it helps in easing joint pain and proves to be an elixir of life to people in this condition.