Health Benefits of Prunes
The following are the various health benefits of prunes:
1. Antioxidant Food: Prunes or dried plums are high in antioxidants called phenols. This helps protect the cells membrane from free radical damage and also aids in the prevention of cardiovascular disease and certain types of cancer. The compound also helps in preventing oxidation of fat molecules in the body.
2. Exceptional Bone Builder: A recent study shows that prunes are rich source of phenolic and flavonoid compounds. These compounds are very effective to not only slow bone loss, but also reverse some types of bone mineral density loss.
3. Good Source of Vitamin C: Vitamin C is good for development of bones, muscles, blood vessels, teeth and helps the body in the absorption of iron. Vitamin C also helps build immunity and aids collagen strength, which is essential to keep a healthy tissue.
4. Heart Protector: Potassium is an important mineral as it helps to ensure proper function of the heart and nerve response throughout the body. Daily intake of potassium helps lower blood pressure and reduces the risk of problems such as dizziness, heart disease, heart attack and stroke.
5. High in Fiber: The soluble fiber present in prunes is essential to maintain a healthy digestive system. It helps to keep the blood sugar level stable and increase the bodys sensitivity to insulin. Therefore it can be used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes effectively. The soluble fiber also prevents overeating and helps to maintain or lose weight.
6. Relieves Constipation: Prunes contain plenty of dietary fiber that can help the body to digest food properly to relieve constipation and have regular bowel movement. Bowel movement is also associated with symptoms like bloating, stomach cramps headache and appetite loss, which can later be more serious when left untreated.
7. Rich in Vitamin A: Getting enough vitamin A from your diet keeps your skin stay moisturized and prevents certain toxins that can cause skin problems such as aging, acne, wrinkles and fine lines. Vitamin A is also known to improve vision and fight against infection in the body.
8. Revitalizing Hair: Prunes are known to be a great source of iron, thus having the ability to prevent anemia and contributing to overall health of your tresses and offering countless benefits for your hair. Lack of iron deficiency in the body can lead to hair loss, dryness, stiffness, thinning and discoloration of the hair.
Recipe: Prune and Olive Chicken
Prunes are dried foods that can be eaten directly from the packet as a snack. Prunes are also used for cooking, both sweet and savory dishes. Heres a quick and delicious recipe of Prune and Olive Chicken for you.
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
60g-pitted prunes cut into halves
8 small green olives
2 tablespoons capers, with liquid
2 tablespoons oliver oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 whole chicken, skin removed and cut into pieces
2 tablespoons brown sugar
60ml dry white wine
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste
Take a medium bowl and combine the garlic, olives, capers, olive oil, vinegar, wine, bay leaves, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well and spread the mixture in a large baking dish.
Add the chicken pieces on top of it, cover and marinate for 8 hours in the refrigerator.
Preheat the oven for 180 C and remove the dish from the refrigerator.
Sprinkle brown sugar over the chicken and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.
Check and remove the chicken when it is fully cooked.
Place the chicken in a large plate and add the remaining pan juice on it.
Garnish on top with fresh parsley and serve hot.
Prunes, dehydrated (low-moisture), uncooked
|Calcium, Ca||72 mg||7.2 %|
|Copper, Cu||0.61 mg||30.55 %|
|Iron, Fe||3.52 mg||19.56 %|
|Magnesium, Mg||64 mg||16 %|
|Manganese, Mn||0.31 mg||15.6 %|
|Phosphorus, P||112 mg||11.2 %|
|Potassium, K||1058 mg||30.23 %|
|Sodium, Na||5 mg||0.21 %|
|Zinc, Zn||0.75 mg||5 %|
|Vitamin A||1762 IU||35.24 %|
|Vitamin C||0 mg||0 %|
|Vitamin B6||0.74 mg||37.25 %|
|Riboflavin||0.16 mg||9.71 %|
|Thiamin||0.12 mg||7.87 %|
|Folate, DFE||2 mcg||0.5 %|
|Niacin||3 mg||14.98 %|
|Cholesterol||0 mg||0 %|
|View all +|