Health benefits of dried fruits
The fiber content is much higher in dried fruits than their fresh counterparts. For example, dried apricots contain 6.5g of fiber per cup while fresh apricots contain only 3.1g.
Fiber helps maintain a healthy digestive system, prevents obesity and heart disease.
With most of the water being removed, dried fruits are very nutrient dense. For example, apricots, raisins, prunes and figs contain large quantities of:
• Beta carotene which helps keep the eyes healthy and protects against macular degeneration.
• Iron which helps maintain healthy hemoglobin levels and prevents fatigue.
• Vitamin E which is an antioxidant and helps maintain good heart health.
• Magnesium which helps maintain muscle contraction and relaxation.
• Calcium which is essential for good bone health.
• Potassium is a mineral which helps control blood pressure. It is possible for individuals who consume very little fruits and vegetables to be deficient in potassium, thereby have increased blood pressure. Figs are a good source of potassium and can help alleviate symptoms of high blood pressure.
Certain antioxidants like phenols have been found to be abundant in dates and figs. Phenols have antioxidant properties with multifaceted benefits like preventing heart disease, osteoporosis, diabetes and some cancers.
Fat and carbohydrates
The fat content in dried fruits is minimal. They are carbohydrate dense and are useful to people looking to gain weight in a healthy way. For those looking at weight loss, the intake of dried fruits must be restricted as they are calorie dense.
Having highlighted its health benefits, the phrase “good things come in little packages” is apt for dried fruits. Consuming dried fruits every day depending upon the requirement will ensure good health.
|Calcium, Ca||35 mg||3.5 %|
|Copper, Cu||0.07 mg||3.5 %|
|Iron, Fe||0.37 mg||2.06 %|
|Magnesium, Mg||17 mg||4.25 %|
|Manganese, Mn||0.13 mg||6.4 %|
|Phosphorus, P||14 mg||1.4 %|
|Potassium, K||232 mg||6.63 %|
|Selenium, Se||0.2 mcg||0.29 %|
|Sodium, Na||1 mg||0.04 %|
|Zinc, Zn||0.15 mg||1 %|
|Vitamin A||142 IU||2.84 %|
|Vitamin C||2 mg||3.33 %|
|Vitamin B6||0.11 mg||5.65 %|
|Vitamin E||0.11 mg||0.37 %|
|Vitamin K||4.7 mcg||5.88 %|
|Riboflavin||0.05 mg||2.94 %|
|Thiamin||0.06 mg||4 %|
|Folate, DFE||6 mcg||1.5 %|
|Niacin||0.4 mg||2 %|
|Fiber||2.9 g||11.6 %|
|Cholesterol||0 mg||0 %|
|Carotene, alpha||0 mcg|
|Carotene, beta||85 mcg|
|View all +|