What is Cempedak?
Nutritional Facts of Cempedak
|Per 100 gm|
|Iron (Fe)||1.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||17.7 mg|
|Vitamin B1||0.16 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.15 mg|
Health Benefits of Cempedak
- Heart health: Antioxidants, dietary fiber and vitamin C present in cempedak helps in maintaining heart health. High potassium content helps in lowering blood pressure. It decreases cholesterol levels and reduces hypertension that makes the cardiac system healthier.
- Urinary tract infection: Attributing to its antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties cempedak helps in fighting urinary tract infections.
- Eye health: Cempedak is rich in vitamin A that helps in maintaining good eye health and keeps the cornea healthy.
- Controls obesity: High dietary fiber content helps in controlling obesity and maintains overall health. Low calorie and fat content helps in weight loss also.
- Digestive health: High fiber, mineral and vitamin content maintain the digestive health. Also researches have proved Artocarpus xanthone to be gastro protective, helping in cure of digestive tract ulcers.
- Prevent tumors and cancers: Artioindonesianidin, a compound present in its bark and fruit, may have potential to prevent tumor growth. Research is ongoing to explore its other therapeutic benefits.
- Malaria treatment: Several compounds like Artioindonesianidin and heteriflavon C present in the bark and fruit of cempedak help in prevention and treatment of malaria. It can eliminate the malarial parasites to complete extent.
- Other benefits: It has been found that cempedak seeds can be ground into flour and used as an alternative to bread flour. It has more dietary fiber content, more nutrients and lower glycemic index as compared to other bread flours. Also the decoction of cempedak roots is used to cure fever, skin diseases, asthma and diarrhea. The antioxidant nature slows the degeneration of cells and thus keeps skin healthy. Cempedak has been found to show anti-arthritic properties too. It also helps in lowering anxiety and hypertension.
Chocolate Dipped Cempedak
- Preparation time 1hr
- Cempedak fruit flesh
- Melted chocolate
- Remove all seeds from the cempedak fruit.
- Puree the flesh in a grinder till smooth.
- Allow the puree to set in a mould for some time in freezer.
- When set dip these fruit squares in melted chocolate.
- Serve as it is or freeze it again before serving.
- Preparation time 10 min
- Cooking time 15 min
- Cempedak fruit
- Rice flour- 1 cup
- Corn flour- Ľ cup
- Sugar if required
- Salt according to taste
- Oil for frying
- Water-1 cup or as required
- Cut the cempedak fruit and take out the flesh only
- In a bowl, combine rice flour, corn flour, salt, sugar and water and make a batter of dripping consistency
- In a pan keep the oil for frying.
- When the oil is hot enough, cover the cempedak flesh with batter and fry in oil.
- Fry till they turn golden brown on each side.
- Serve the delicious fritters when warm.