A bizarre and extremely freaky incident occurred in Harbin City, Northern China, when a woman was caught unawares after a pickled venomous snake in a jar woke up after 3 months and bit her.
The snake, a viper, was pickled sometime in June this year.
The woman was actually in the process of making the strange concoction called Shejiu, known in Asia for its healing properties.
The snake had been surviving in the jar since June and this is possible only if the jar was not airtight.
Experts have said that snakes do have the ability to reduce their metabolism which allows them to survive even if they are pickled.
The woman in question, who did not want to be identified, reached out for the bottle of pickle after she suffered from joint pains, and seeing that it was dry, poured more alcohol into the bottle. As she did so, the viper inside the bottle began to wiggle, jumped out of the bottle and bit her finger.
The woman was rushed to hospital and fortunately saved due to timely treatment.