Medindia

X

WHO Banned Toxic Pesticide Behind Bihar Meal Poisoning

by Bidita Debnath on  July 25, 2013 at 8:22 PM General Health News   - G J E 4
In Bihar, the pesticide that killed 23 Indian schoolchildren last week had been reportedly banded by the World Health Organization (WHO) describing its high acute toxicity.
 WHO Banned Toxic Pesticide Behind Bihar Meal Poisoning
WHO Banned Toxic Pesticide Behind Bihar Meal Poisoning
Advertisement

The pesticide monocrotophos, the substance that caused poisoning in mid-day meals of children in Bihar, is a nerve poison banned in India by United Nations health agency as early as 2009, the Fox News reports.

Advertisement
According to the report, many pesticide containers are not thrown away after use but recycled in India to store water, food and other consumables.

The children of a primary school in Bihar had fallen ill within minutes of eating the mid-day meal in their school premises last week.

The experts reportedly said that the symptoms, vomiting and convulsing with stomach cramps, would be common in poisoning with such a toxic chemical.

Source: ANI
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All