Whiskey Makes Blind Man See What Vodka Could Not

by Savitha C Muppala on  December 2, 2012 at 11:38 PM Alternative Medicine News   - G J E 4
Johnnie Walker Black saved the day for 65-year-old Duthie, a tutor at New Playmoth's Western Institute of Technology in New Zealand, who went blind recently after drinking too much vodka. Doctors prescribed him a glass of whiskey and his sight was restored.
 Whiskey Makes Blind Man See What Vodka Could Not
Whiskey Makes Blind Man See What Vodka Could Not

The tutor drank a few glasses of vodka from the bottle and he suffered a bad diabetic reaction to the vodka. He lost his sight.

  "I thought it had got dark and I'd missed out on a bit of time but it was only about half-past-three in the afternoon. I was fumbling around the bedroom for the light switch but ... I'd just gone completely blind. I don't remember much after I arrived in hospital. I know the doctor told my wife to say goodbye because they didn't think I'd be coming out again."

When the doctors examined Duthie , they got the smell of  "nail polish remover" from his body. The doctors diagnosed it as a case of formaldehyde poisoning, which can happen if somebody takes in methanol. They decided to treat it with ethanol which is present in   alcoholic beverages like whiskey.

The doctor's administered the Johnnie Walker Black Label through a tube into his stomach. When he woke up five days later he could see.

Duthie said: "I woke up five days later and I could see as soon as I could open my eyes. I thought it was pretty bloody good - I'm alive. The hospital was absolutely awesome. Couldn't have been better."

Source: Medindia

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

View All