Medindia

X

Freak Cigarette Accident Claims a Male Victim

by Medindia Content Team on  April 19, 2006 at 1:52 PM General Health News   - G J E 4
Freak Cigarette Accident Claims a Male Victim
A 60 year old hospital patient died after a serious burn injury that occurred instantly after he lit a cigarette. The patient was being treated with a flammable gel for a skin problem. Apparently, this accident took place when the victim was smoking in the fire escape.
Advertisement

All other patients have expressed profound shock after the accident. Hospital staff has confirmed the adherence to correct procedures, and are treating this incident as an accident.

Advertisement
Questions are being raised regarding the hospital's negligence in allowing a patient to smoke, especially when hospitals are meant to be smoke free. A thorough investigation is top of mind on the list of people's reaction to this incident.

A spokeswoman for Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust said "Counseling will be made available to staff, patients and family members if required."

Police are in the process of getting the report ready for the coroner, and have found no evidence to suggest any other reason other than an accident.

Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All