Parents need to be more watchful when taking care of their boys under 3 years of age as a new study has revealed that they are more likely to suffer from burn injuries than girl children of the same age.
Researchers at Malmo University in Sweden looked at 148 children up to the age of six who were taken to the University Hospital and 21 health centres. They discovered that 96 percent of the accidents could have been prevented, as they happened at home when an adult was nearby, and that 64 percent of the injured children were boys, reported science portal EurekAlert.
AdvertisementThe study said 80 percent of the injuries were scalds, with 71 percent of those caused by hot liquids and 29 percent caused by hot food. Many of them happened because children tried to reach up and pull hot food or liquid off a stove.
The non-scald injuries included a child putting its hand on a stove, standing in hot candle wax and sitting down on a barbecue grill.
According to lead author Anna Carlsson, '72 percent of the burns victims were under three years old. We believe that this is because children of this age often stay closer to their parents while they are cooking and are more exposed to burn risks.'
'By the age of three most children have a greater understanding of the concept of danger,' she said.
The study found 60 percent of the children sustained injuries on their hand or arm, followed by the trunk (42 percent), leg or foot (21 percent) and face (17 percent). Some children had injuries on more than one part of the body.
'Parents need to be more aware of the risks that children face in the home, particularly when they are in the kitchen,' Carlsson said. 'Making sure that pan handles don't overhang the cooker is just one of the simple safety tips that could prevent burns injuries to small children.'