One of the most frequent New Year resolutions is "I'll quit smoking." But a lot of people especially the younger lot find it hard to keep their good intentions because nicotine at the best of times is addictive. Now an initiative undertaken by the Manchester Evening News, a newspaper in Great Britain, promises to help people keep this resolution.
The paper has undertaken this initiative in collaboration with the NHS and Smoke Free North West. A special helpline has been instituted that also helps youngsters give up the habit, "Everyone can do the smoking sums - we bury 14 adults a day but 24 children and young people take their place," said Dr Peter Elton, the doctor leading the "stop smoking" services across Greater Manchester. "The tobacco industry, which makes billions out of this misery, is quids in. We need a massive community campaign to halt this human tragedy." He added that children often copied adults and started smoking. "I welcome the launch of the M.E.N. Quit Line. The NHS is here to help and support smokers - we never condemn or preach," he added.
The Manchester Evening News says that last year around 2,500 benefited from the helpline and gave up smoking, which is the leading cause of lung cancer and a host of other problems including oral cancer, bronchitis, and other respiratory illnesses.
The M.E.N. campaign is also conducting a Manchester versus Cancer concert at the MEN Arena on January 28, the report revealed. "The NHS is proud to be associated with the concert. We hope everyone will turn out for an amazing night of entertainment and take home the message that we are all in this together," said Pat Karney, director of Smoke Free Greater Manchester.
UK residents can dial the helpline at 0800 043 3555 or visit http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/men/news/health/s/197/197328_smokers_read_this_then_quit.html for more information.