There are absolutely no short cuts to effective weight loss apart from diet and exercise. Despite ample studies and research to prove this point, several myths abound . Let's throw some light on how one can effectively shed the extra weight, and dispel famous myths to reveal underlying truths!
Body weight is equated as input versus output. Weight gain happens when calorie intake exceeds calories expended. The extra calories are stored in the body as fat, amounting to weight gain.
1.Get slim easily without diet or exercise
2. Slow Metabolism with age, culprit for weight gains.
3. Skip Breakfast for a slimmer you
4. Reduce carbohydrates in diet to stave off extra calories.
1.Crash diets or indiscriminate starving does more harm than good. To lose weight and maintain, there has to be a good balance of diet and exercise. Diet should constitute foods that add nutritive value rather than calorific value. Infact, authentic slimming centers advocate a healthy blend of diet and exercise apart from other remedies to reduce water retention. Beware of those centers that adopt thermal blankets to get you to sweat it out - more water loss than weight loss!
2.People gain weight as they age mainly because of sedentary lifestyles in the youth as against active life during growing up years. Strength training adequately helps in combating this problem by maintaining muscle as we age. Eating more when metabolism slows down amounts to definite weight gain. Aging also results in loss of body cells, thus burning fewer calories during rest.
3.Studies have shown that those who skip meals especially breakfast have a tendency to carry more weight than those who eat four or five meals a day. The answer to maintaining requisite body weight lies in moderate exercise and eating a healthy diet. Losing more than 0.5kg a week or 10kg in six months is not recommended.
4. Body depends on carbohydrates for energy. Reducing carbohydrates results in temporary weight loss. But, an increase in protein and fats enhances the risk of heart disease. It can also make you feel fatigued and nauseous. Reduced intake of carbohydrates less than 130g a day and an increase in protein and fat can also lead to kidney stones and gout.
The aim should be to start the day with a sumptuous breakfast followed by smaller meals spread out during the day.
Finally, important pointers for effective weight loss:
· Never crash diet. Target to shed weight off your waist; more important for good health than the overall kilos you lose.
· Include exercise for 30 minutes a day. Walk more during daily routines and lift weights two to three times a week to increase the muscle tone.
· Increase intake of fruit, vegetables and whole grain. Avoid fats, refined sugars and fast food.
· Avoid soft drinks and alcohol as they have hidden calories.