The mother of a 17-year-old teenager named Daniel Hindle of Carvale Drive, Richmond, Sheffield was reduced to tears after a coroner's jury returned the verdict of 'death by misadventure.'
Daniel died in December 2002 - two months after he got his lip pierced in a salon in the city. He was admitted to a hospital after vomiting and developed a raging fever.
AdvertisementCommenting on the verdict, South Yorkshire coroner Chris Dorries said that lip piercing was dangerous, but Body Poppers, the salon where Daniel got his lip pierced was not to blame. Daniel's mother Christina Anderson said that when her son died she had believed that the body piercing was the cause, 'I hope that this today, and the wider attention the inquest has attracted, will cause anyone considering undertaking body piercing to stop and think twice about these risks,' she said in tears. She added that she intended to dedicate herself to educating teenagers about the risks involved.
Mr. Dorries echoed her comments, 'Those who are vulnerable to infection, because of a heart condition or any other reason, perhaps need to understand this isn't just the fusty old adults trying to stop their fun. There can be very real risks,' he said. Ms Anderson's solicitor Richard Starkie was of the opinion that there should be national guidelines 'regarding the training and standards of those practicing body piercing. In this case, body piercing started a chain of events that eventually cost Daniel his life.'
PStatins Reduce Deaths And Strokes After Carotid Surgery Doctors take part in walk: a step towards creating diabetes awareness M
You May Also Like