Drug Xolair for Severe Asthma

by Medindia Content Team on  November 7, 2005 at 5:46 PM Drug News   - G J E 4
Drug Xolair for Severe Asthma
Xolair (omalizumab) drug is found to be useful in treating patients with severe asthma and the new drug is approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMEA) for use in patients whose symptoms are not controlled by current drugs. Xolair can be used in the treatment of severe asthma patients and the side effects of the new drug on long time usage has to be monitored.

Anti-asthma drugs acts as an immune suppressor by which it reduces the immune system to produce less number of immune cells against the allergen, which causes an increased number of Immunoglobulin E (IgE).

The trial showing the efficacy of the drug Xolair was tested in 4,300 patients with severe asthma and the injection of the drug in hospital had shown reduced asthma attacks and hospitilization with increased lung function. Spokeswoman from Asthma UK said, "For 90% of people with asthma, existing treatments should be effective at controlling asthma but in the remaining 10%, their asthma is difficult to control and these people often experience the most severe symptoms and the highest use of emergency services. Omalizumab may be effective at treating people in this category who have allergic asthma and who are over 12 years of age."

Dr. Mark Britton, Chairman, British Lung Foundation said, "It's a major new step in the treatment of allergic asthma."

Source: BBC News

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions
is omalizumab available in UAE? and Lebanon? Where can I find it?
guest Sunday, April 15, 2007

You May Also Like

View All