Mushroom and muscle loss

by Medindia Content Team on  September 22, 2001 at 12:44 PM General Health News
RSS Email Print This Page Comment bookmark
Font : A-A+

Mushroom and muscle loss
According to a study in The New England Journal of Medicine, twelve people were hospitalized for severe weakness and muscle loss after eating the mushrooms, and three of them died, wrote Dr. Regis Bedry of the poison center of University Hospital Pellegrin in Bordeaux, France.Bedry said he confirmed the mushroom's toxicity by feeding extracts to mice and measuring creatine kinase, an enzyme produced during muscle breakdown, in the blood.

The study "raises as many questions as answers, at least in my mind," said Dr. Denis Benjamin, chair of the North American Mycological Association's toxicology committee. There are other mushrooms which have delayed effects, or cumulative toxicity -- and it's rare to find more than one meal's worth of T. equestre, he said.

If the study's conclusions are confirmed, T. equestre apparently would be the first mushroom to cause muscle loss, "It's one of those intriguing reports one will watch and see if it can be confirmed in the future," he said.


Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions

More News on:

Munch On Crunchy Corn! Seven Power-Packed Foods for Optimum Health Mushroom Types Mushroom Allergy 

News A - Z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Find a Doctor

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store

News Category

News Archive

Loading...