Gene Target For Tuberculosis Identified

by Medindia Content Team on  August 17, 2005 at 5:56 PM General Health News
RSS Email Print This Page Comment bookmark
Font : A-A+

Gene Target For Tuberculosis Identified
For the first time, a gene linked to the disease tuberculosis has been identified which, is held to control the onset of the disease. The gene NRAMP1 is known to be involved in a number of other diseases like leprosy and rheumatoid arthritis.

Different forms of the gene are held to control the speed at which tuberculosis develops. Certain factors are already known to increase the speed at which people develop tuberculosis. HIV and tuberculosis are synergistic partners and appear to accelerate disease progression when they occur together.

Tuberculosis is a very common disease, affecting about one-third of the world's population. Of the estimated two billion people infected, only 5%-10% actually develop tuberculosis disease in their lifetime. The other 90%-95% appear to contain the infection in a dormant state and do not manifest the disease for reasons not yet understood.

Understanding the basic pathways of pathogenesis such as these offers new targets and policies for disease prevention. This is just a starter kit. We still have a long way to go with respect to the cure and therapeutic intervention.

Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions

Related Links

More News on:

DNA Finger Printing Tuberculosis Tracheostomy Pleural Effusion Silicosis Screening Tests for Tuberculosis Fever Cough Symptom Evaluation Diet in Tuberculosis Stomach Tuberculosis 

News A - Z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement
Find a Doctor

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store

Facebook

Advertisement

News Category

News Archive