Medindia

X

Hearing loss can happen from regular exposure to carbon monoxide

by Medindia Content Team on  June 7, 2005 at 2:11 PM General Health News   - G J E 4
Hearing loss can happen from regular exposure to carbon monoxide
Animal studies have shown the regular exposure to carbon monoxide can damage the ears of young children.
Advertisement

Carbon monoxide enters into the atmosphere from kerosene and gas stove combustions, generators and other liquid fuel powered equipments, car exhaust and tobacco smokes. At moderate concentrations carbon monoxide can cause angina, poor vision, and at times brain function impairments. At high levels of concentration this gas can cause deaths.

Advertisement
The researchers from UCLA have found out the carbon monoxide can cause oxidative stress that may damage the cochlea of the inner ear of the younger ones and cause permanent damage to hearing abilities of young rats. Carbon monoxide at the exposure limit of 0.0025% in air can cause oxidative stress for the children.

Oxidative stress happens when the free radicals in the body interact with the other molecules of the cell, and cause extensive damage to the proteins, membranes and genes. Free radicals are often produced as by products of the body's constant interaction with the oxygen in producing energy for the cells. Oxidative stress can cause many disease conditions in the body and harm the health of the individual.

This is the first research linking carbon monoxide to oxidative stress. The research is published in the new issue of Journal of Neuroscience Research.
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All