Swallowing Magnets Found To Be Dangerous for Kids

by Medindia Content Team on  October 27, 2004 at 4:31 PM General Health News
RSS Email Print This Page Comment bookmark
Font : A-A+

Swallowing Magnets Found To Be Dangerous for Kids
Swallowing foreign objects is a common occurrence among children between 6 months and 3 years old. About 80 percent of objects that reach the stomach will pass through the gastrointestinal tract on their own. However, up to 20 percent will need to be surgically removed.

Children who swallow more than one magnet need immediate medical attention. Researchers say if magnets are allowed to pass beyond the stomach, they can attract each other through opposing intestinal walls which could be dangerous for children.

While swallowing magnets is not as common as swallowing coins, jewelry or toy parts, researchers say there have been several reported cases of multiple magnet ingestion over the past five years thus they stress on the need for parents and physicians to be more alert.

Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions

More News on:

Tongue Abnormalities Height and Weight-Kids 

News A - Z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Find a Doctor

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store

Facebook

News Category

News Archive