In a tragic repeat of an accident, which shook Chennai city last year, two youngsters were found dead in an air-conditioned car.
Ramu, 22, and Madhavan 24, both mechanics were found dead in a Maruti 800 vehicle, which apparently they were working on. As per police reports, the two were working on the car Wednesday night, after work hours. They were discovered on Thursday morning when another worker lifted up the garage shutters the youths had pulled down during their work.
AdvertisementAccording to officers in the Forensic Sciences department, the car must have been idling on for more than an hour, with the air-conditioner on. This might have lead to the engine being depleted of needed oxygen. In addition, the tiny 300 square feet garage lacked proper ventilation, obviously leading to build-up of lethal amounts of carbon monoxide(CO).
Investigating police officer Purushotaman has informed that post-mortem reports will be available in a week's time, possibly offering clues to whether the youngsters had consumed alcohol, too.
Last October, three youths were found dead when their car was caught in a traffic jam during the seasonal rains. A case of carbon monoxide poisoning was registered then.
Last December at Kerala's capital three partying youngsters lost their lives due to what is believed, the same reason. Their dead bodies were found next to their car, in a shuttered garage that left no scope for ventilation.
Experts say that petrol driven vehicles usually emit up to 25 percent carbon monoxide out of the total exhaust.
Carbon monoxide is produced whenever fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal is burned. The amount of CO produced while using fuel-burning appliances is usually not harmful. It becomes hazardous when appliances are used improperly or are not functioning adequately.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious threat that people need to get informed about. By educating ourselves on the dangers of CO, experts believe that we can significantly reduce health risk as well as save lives.