South Asians Wait for Matching Bone Marrow Donors

by VR Sreeraman on  March 24, 2007 at 5:08 PM General Health News
RSS Email Print This Page Comment bookmark
Font : A-A+

South Asians Wait for Matching Bone Marrow Donors
Los Angeles: The percentage of South Asians registered in the US National Marrow Donor Registry is so small that patients from the region perforce join a long queue for matching donors.

Urmi and Girish are two of those waiting for a matching bone marrow transplant here.

Urmi, 5, has been diagnosed with aplastic anaemia and requires an immediate marrow transplant. She loves to play with her dolls and read stories about Lord Krishna in Gujarati, according to India Post, an ethnic Indian magazine.

Girish, who came to the US in 1995 and is the father of a four-year-old boy, was diagnosed with a life-threatening disease - acute myelogenous leukemia (AML) - last year.

Up to 30 percent of patients find a matching donor within their families, but the remaining 70 percent have to search for an unrelated donor.

Bone marrow is the soft tissue found in the hollow interior of bones. It is the place where most new blood cells are produced.

Nobel laureate E. Donnall Thomas has pioneered bone marrow transplantation at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Centre since the 1950s. Thomas' work showed that bone marrow cells infused intravenously could repopulate the bone marrow and produce new blood cells.

Source: IANS
SRM

Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions
guest

Yes, I agree with the fact that South Asians are very much in need of Bone Marrow donors directory. We have done our whole family members HLA for some personal reasons and we also do not mind helping donate our bone marrow to some needy person. But we do not know how to register our names in the directory kindly guide us for the same.

More News on:

Bone Marrow Aspiration and Biopsy Leucopenia / Leukopenia Hodgkins Lymphoma Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma Multiple Myeloma Bone Marrow Transplantation Renal Osteodystrophy / Mineral Bone Disorder 

News A - Z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Find a Doctor

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store

Facebook

News Category

News Archive