A few students of Pinewood elementary in Prince George, Canada are down with food poisoning after a meal of chicken strips were served to them as part of the school's weekly hot lunch program.
Incidentally a case of food poisoning was registered only after school authorities got concerned when an unusual number of parents phoned in to tell their child was taking leave from school.
AdvertisementSchool authorities immediately notified the Northern Health authorities and samples of the meal were sent for examination.
A case of salmonella poisoning has been registered.
Apparently the meal was served on Wednesday and by Thursday a few of the children reported symptoms of food poisoning like fever, nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, and diarrhea.
Feedback from the students indicated the chicken was under cooked and tasted raw and 'chewy'.
School District 57 superintendent Brian Pepper says a local caterer on contract supplied the meal with the school for supplying lunches. For obvious reasons the local caterer has not been named, though it is not yet ascertained whether he had served meals to other schools. At present the vendor has closed shop and is cooperating with health authorities.
Dr. David Bowering, chief medical health officer for Northern Health is concerned as many more children could still come down with symptoms. This is because salmonella - the greatest health risk from undercooked chicken - has an incubation period of between six and 48 hours.
In this case yet more children may come down with food poisoning.
You May Also Like