Lead Laden Metal Necklaces Turn Noose on Children’s Necks

by Medindia Content Team on  January 4, 2007 at 7:49 PM General Health News   - G J E 4
Lead Laden Metal Necklaces Turn Noose on Children’s Necks
Parents beware! Metal necklaces and key chains bought to satisfy your children's fancy could be dangerous as some of them contain elevated levels of lead.

Metal necklaces sold at Claire's and Ardène retail outlets have been ordered off the shelf due to elevated lead levels. Health Canada has issued a warning that the consequences may even turn fatal if the metal necklace or key chain is put in the mouth, chewed or swallowed by children.

The contentious products in the news are the "monkey" pendant and a keychain which can be returned at the Claire's store for a refund. Though no adverse reactions have come to light so far, yet Health Canada has advised parents to do away with such necklaces. The products have been sold between February and December 2006. The key chain contains silver-colored metal rings and a petite silver-colored metal chain with a silver colored flower with the word "Best" engraved on the metal bar beneath the flower.

If your children have chewed or sucked on the necklaces or key chains, it is advisable to meet with the doctor and have the blood lead levels ascertained without delay. For further information, consumers are requested to contact the Health Canada Product Safety office closest to them by dialing 1-866-662-0666 toll-free, or e-mail

Source: Medindia

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

View All