Medindia

X

Mr. Norris's Home Certified Anthrax-free

by Medindia Content Team on  December 15, 2006 at 7:38 PM General Health News   - G J E 4
Mr. Norris's Home Certified Anthrax-free
Christopher "Pascal" Norris died in July. The cause of his death was diagnosed to be from anthrax. Mr. Norris was an instrument maker and made African drums, and it is assumed that he could have contracted the disease from imported leather.
Advertisement

Anthrax is caused by bacterium Bacillus anthracis and commonly occurs in animals such as cattle, sheep and goats but humans exposed to infected animals can also be affected.

Advertisement
Mr. Norris's Black Lodge home and workshop were sealed and samples were collected for testing for Anthrax spores.

The investigation had gone on for the past four months and NHS Borders has confirmed that no traces of anthrax have been found at his home but minute traces of anthrax have been found in other properties, Smailholm Village Hall, near Kelso, and a workshop in Northumberland.

These places will be decontaminated in early 2007.

Dr Andrew Riley, the director of public health at NHS Borders, said: "It is important to point out that investigations are ongoing and we are co-operating fully with the procurator-fiscal.

"It is important to point out that investigations are ongoing and we are co-operating fully with the procurator fiscal and when enquiries are complete, a full incident report will be produced," he said.



Source: Medindia
PRI
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All