Keep Kids Away from Magnetic Toys

by Medindia Content Team on  December 11, 2006 at 7:53 PM Child Health News
RSS Email Print This Page Comment
Keep Kids Away from Magnetic Toys
Health experts have advised parents to keep children away from magnetic toys because if the magnet is accidentally swallowed, it could lead to numerous health complications.

Magnets could get attached to different sections of the bowel resulting in obstructions, perforations and sepsis - a life-threatening infection of the blood, UPI news wire quoted a report by the Centre for Disease Control in Atlanta.

Radiological examinations cannot help doctors verify whether objects in the bowel are magnets or are trapped tissue, it said.

The CDC has suggested that physicians pass a compass near the abdomen to help determine whether an unknown object is magnetic. The centre also recommends that children below the age of six not be given magnetic toys.

Source: IANS
SRM

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions
guest Monday, December 11, 2006

Worth reading.Informative.Please keep this type of articles. Thanks.

News A - Z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.


Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store

Facebook

News Category

News Archive