There's no quick fix for depression. Even if you are under medical care and taking antidepressant medication, improvement takes time.
The December issue of Mayo Clinic Women's HealthSource offers five self-care strategies that can help you feel better and reduce the risk of recurrence.
Advertisement1. Keep active. As little as 15 to 30 minutes of physical activity most days has been shown to improve mood. Long-term regular exercise can help prevent recurrence.
2. Eat well. A well-balanced eating strategy will help you feel better now and later.
4. Control stress. Coping with depression is stressful enough, so try to limit other sources of stress.
Simplify your schedule and prioritize.
- Get organized so you know where to find things you need.
- If you need a break, take it, even if it's just a day trip or weekend getaway.
- Recognize stress signals and slow down. Is your stomach upset? Are you forgetting things or feeling extra irritable? Take notice of your signals and do something about it.
You May Also Like