The following steps have been taken to prevent and control HIV/AIDs in Mumbai Division of Central and Western Railway: -
Collection of correct information about number of persons infected with HIV Virus
· Testing Facilities - HIV testing facilities is available in Mumbai Division both in Central and Western Railways. HIV testing is done in accordance with National AIDS Control Organization guidelines for pre and post test counseling.
· Voluntary Counseling and Testing Centres - voluntary Counseling and Testing Centres are operated at Jagjivan Ram Hospital, Western Railway, Dr. Babasahib Ambedkar Memorial Hospital, Byculla/Central Railway.
· Uro-Genital Clinic - Uro-Genital Clinic manned with a Dermataologist Gynecologist have been developed at Mumbai.
All steps are being taken to ensure that the number of screening tests with proper counseling is increased.
Measures to Prevent Spread of HIV Virus
· Doctors and staff - All doctors of Mumbai Division of Western and Central Railway have been trained and training of most of the paramedical staff has also been completed.
· Information Education Communication activities - Various information, education and communication activities such as exhibitions, street plays, lectures, quiz competitions, rallies. Distribution of educational material and condoms are being performed in coordination with respective State AIDS Control Societies and Mumbai district AIDS control Society.
· Universal work precaution at work place - Guidelines are being followed. Staff trained in the same and periodic re-training is conducted.
· Blood transfusion - Guidelines are being followed.
· Condom availability - All Health Units and hospitals of Mumbai Division of Central and Western Railway are distributing condoms.
· Post Exposure Treatment - Free Anti Retroviral Treatment Medicines are made available with in 24 hours of needle - stick injury.
· Workplace Intervention Programme - Workplace intervention programmes have been initiated.
· The sensitization workshops are organized for Administrators, community leaders and Trade Union representatives and Medical Officers.
· A group of Peer educators have been trained to carry out workplace intervention. This group includes volunteers, both female and male, who are serving railway employees.
· Focus group discussion with employees on HIV/AIDS and sexually Transmitted Diseases are being carried out based on assessment of knowledge levels of the employees.
Management of HIV Positive Persons
· All registered HIV persons are being followed up in Mumbai Division of Central and Western Railway.
· Medical Officers have been identified to interact and follow up the HIV positive persons.
Treatment of AIDS Cases
· All eligible AIDS persons in Mumbai Divisions of Central and Western Railway are being provided free anti retroviral treatment. Patients are being followed up. After necessary investigations including free CD 4 count, free anti retroviral treatment is rendered to needy persons.
· All cases are being managed as per latest recommendations. Medicines are being supplied to the patients.
· Continuing medical education programme has been conducted to train medical officers in anti retroviral treatment, management and post exposure prophylaxis.
Out of 268 employees in Central Railway Mumbai Division infected with HIV virus, following is the distribution amongst various categories of railway employees viz.
· Group D 126
· Group C 141
· Group B 1
· Group A 0
Amongst the employees in Western Railway, Mumbai Division found infected with HIV infection, highest number is amongst Group D employees.
This information was given by Shri R.Velu, Minister of State for Railways in a written reply to a question in the Rajya Sabha today.