Writing on the Wall - Lead Poisoning Begins at Home?Paints Could Be Toxic!

by Savitha C Muppala on  October 25, 2006 at 1:41 PM General Health News   - G J E 4
Writing on the Wall - Lead Poisoning Begins at Home?Paints Could Be Toxic!
Leading the way to reduce lead poisoning in children, The Medical Research Council has alerted parents desirous of doing up children's homes with vivid colors, will do good to reconsider, in the light of reports about harmful levels of lead in paints.

Earlier in the year, the MRC had found nearly 42% of children tested, had portrayed toxic levels of lead in their blood, thought to have occurred due to lead-based paints.. What was worrying is that, lead was found in paints meant especially for children's rooms, toys or playground equipments, crossing the limits set by the WHO

High blood lead levels in children is harmful, it can cause a decline in IQ scores, hamper school performance, and in the worst case could lead to cognitive impairment and behavioural problems.

The MRC has warned that even well known brands are flouting the rules about the use of lead in paints, so it would be wise for people to insist on a guarantee from the manufacturers that the paints are lead-free. The Department of Health meanwhile is slated to enforce a legislation that will entail the manufacturers to abstain from the use of lead in paints.

Source: Medindia

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

View All