Sexual potency can be influenced by various reasons. Many advertisments with regard to potency have brought the subject of impotence to the attention of thousands of people. Impotence was once a taboo subject, but attitudes are changing.Many men are taking help, particularly as large segments of the population age. Many men suffer from impotence. Estimates range from 12 million to 30 million men in the United States alone.
Approximately 75 percent to 85 percent of impotence is caused by medical rather than psychological reasons. Several factors that greatly influence the sexual potency of the aging male should be considered:
- A physician should be consulted if the male questions his level of sexual desire or performance. Medical conditions such as diabetes, blood vessel disease, nerve injuries and low levels of male hormones can cause sexual impairment. Also, certain medications can affect sexual potency.
The physicians often can modify doses of the medication which might decrease adverse side effects.
- Smoking can be a factor. Smoking can affect genital blood flow and can decrease sexual capability.
- Excessive intake of alcohol can have a negative effect on sex drive and performance, especially as one ages.
- Being in good shape physically can certainly affect sexual desire and performance. Those wishing to enhance their sex life should seek to restore physical fitness.
- Worry, depression, excessive stress and dissatisfaction in life can play a part in sexual satisfaction. A man unhappy with his job or worried about finances may need to explore these factors with a trained mental-health counselor if medical causes have been ruled out.
- An abnormal decrease in sexual desire and performance can be linked to an unhealthy relationship. Negative feelings between husband and wife can be a major factor in sexual difficulties.
- The belief that all sexual activity will cease at a certain age can become a self-fulfilling prophecy, but it is an unnecessary and even unhealthy belief. Some experts on human sexuality believe there is a correlation between longevity and sexual activity. The old saying ``use it or lose it'' applies here.
Therapies for impotence include medication changes, lifestyle changes, mechanical devises, oral medication and counseling.