David Allison, a University of Alabama biostatistician has compiled a report on that details the top 10 reasons for obesity. He was assisted in this venture by 19 other scientists in the United States, Canada and Italy.
The researchers looked at more than 100 studies on the reasons for obesity besides exercise and diet. They found that the following reasons could be an answer
* Inadequate sleep: Sleep deprivation leads to some sort of weight gain
* Endocrine disruptors are substances in some foods that may alter fats in the body and this increase a person's weight.
* Nice temperatures People who work in air-conditioned offices burn less calories and are thus fat.
* Fewer people smoking leading to less of appetite suppression
* Population changes: Increase in number of Hispanics, who are naturally prone to obesity
* Older birth moms: As people have children late, it increases their chances of being obese
* Genetic influences during pregnancy.
* Darwinian natural selection
* Assortative mating Fat people mating with fat people begets fat offspring
Dr. Robert Kushner, medical director of the weight-management program at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, said the study was very creative, "We are facing an epidemic with no tipping point in the near future. At this point, there are no silly ideas," Kushner said.