Health Canada Warns Against Excessive Consumption Of Lobster Tomalleys

by Medindia Content Team on  May 29, 2006 at 2:04 PM General Health News
RSS Email Print This Page Comment
Font : A-A+

Health Canada Warns Against Excessive Consumption Of Lobster Tomalleys
The soft green substance inside the body of a lobster commonly known as Tomalley, is considered by some as a delicacy and by may others as a waste, unhealthy product. The health agency of Canada has decided to issue a warning-advising people against eating too much of lobster tomalley.

The health agency has announced that Tomalley, the green innards that serve as a liver and pancreas for lobster, can sometimes contain a toxin known as paralytic shellfish poison. The agency explained that if ingested in large amounts the toxin causes tingling and numbing of the arms legs, headaches, dizziness and nausea. They went on to state that in rare cases it could even cause paralysis, respiratory difficulty or even death.

Health Canada is recommending that adults should consume the tomalley of no more than two lobsters a day. For children, it's one lobster a day. They explained that they had always advised nursing mothers and pregnant women to avoid tomalley. They did go on to clarify that advice does not apply to canned lobster tomalleys because of processing controls and the toxin is not normally found in lobster meat.


Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions

More News on:

Health Insurance - India 

News A - Z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store

Facebook

News Category

News Archive