Toxic Shellfish Warning on the West Coast Lifted

by Savitha C Muppala on  January 20, 2013 at 11:59 PM Diet & Nutrition News
RSS Email Print This Page Comment
Font : A-A+

The Waikato District Health Board and Auckland Regional Public Health Service had earlier enforced a shellfish gathering ban in the locality following reports of paralysis induced by shell fish poisoning.
 Toxic Shellfish Warning on the West Coast Lifted
Toxic Shellfish Warning on the West Coast Lifted

The ban has been lifted after confirmation from Auckland Medical Officer of Health, Simon Baker, who said that water samples in the area have been satisfactorily clear for quite sometime.

"Paralytic shellfish poisoning can be a very serious illness, it can even be fatal. People have been really sick after eating shellfish from the Bay of Plenty, with some requiring treatment in the intensive care unit. Please look out for the signs and don't collect or eat shellfish from the affected areas."

Consuming shellfish infected with the poison can cause breathing difficulties, swallowing problems, numbness, tingling sensation around the mouth and in extreme cases, respiratory failure and even paralysis.

After consumption of a toxic shellfish, symptoms can start in the one to two hours after consuming a toxic shellfish, and those who have signs is advised to seek urgent medical attention.



Source: Medindia

Post a Comment

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
Notify me when reply is posted
I agree to the terms and conditions

News A - Z

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

News Search

Medindia Newsletters

Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!

Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Stay Connected

  • Available on the Android Market
  • Available on the App Store

Facebook

News Category

News Archive