Medindia

X

Throwing Sticks for Your Pet to Fetch may be Dangerous

by Kathy Jones on  July 4, 2013 at 8:33 PM General Health News   - G J E 4
While dogs may be enjoying the game, a team of veterinary experts say that throwing sticks for your pets to fetch is dangerous and should be banned.
 Throwing Sticks for Your Pet to Fetch may be Dangerous
Throwing Sticks for Your Pet to Fetch may be Dangerous
Advertisement

Experts at the Veterinary Association and Kennel Club said that sharp sticks can prove to be dangerous to dogs as they can pierce their mouth, throat or internal organs. They suggested that dog owners should instead use other toys to play the game with their pets.

Advertisement
Their stance has been supported by Australia, British and New Zealand veterinary associations.

"Sticks, as with any other material thrown for a dog, will always carry a small risk of injury, whether through excessive force should the object hit the dog or equally through the potential for long sharp objects, like sticks, to penetrate the mouth, in particular should the dog lunge at the object to catch it", the president of New Zealand Veterinary Association, Cath Watson said.

Source: Medindia
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All