Our immune system gets affected in the rainy season, so it is important to keep hydrated and eat lots of green vegetables, recommends an expert.
Kajal Bhatia, Consultant Nutritionist, RAW Pressery, a company that provides organic juices, shares how:
* Go green: Asparagus, cucumber, broccoli, leafy vegetables, zucchini and green vegetables are ideal. They have enough liquid content to keep the body hydrated and enough protein to provide energy. They keep you relaxed without causing any digestive irritations.
‘Our immune system gets affected in the rainy season, so it is important to keep hydrated and eat lots of green vegetables and fresh fruits.’
* Avoid cold water: What that ice cold water does is effectively douse the digestive fires. This will cause digestive problems and a feeling of lack of energy. Water at room temperature assimilates into your body faster and rehydrates you quickly.
* Cold-pressed juices: You might have heard about the term 'cold-pressed juices' being thrown around these days in discussions on health and fitness. It is actually an alternate process of juicing fruits wherein they are mashed at first and then external pressure is applied to extract the juice. In this way, the enzymes inside the fruit remain intact. They are also great in alkalizing the acid build up in the body to keep the pH level neutral. Some fruits have nutrients that naturally help the immunity system.
There are certain options for juice flavors that are ideal for monsoon season. Here's a list of some:
* Guava: A power-packed punch of Vitamin C, this fruit along with lemon and pineapple refreshes the system significantly. Guavas are also very high in anti-oxidants.
* Mango: It helps to fight heat strokes, lowers cholesterol and is also a great alkalizing agent. Undeniably, however, is the refreshing, delicious taste of this fruit that makes it a perfect drink.
* Pomegranate: It helps to enhance the blood flow and detoxify the body of impurities. Another great source of Vitamin C. It is extremely hydrating and its juice delivers essential micro-nutrients and phytochemicals to the skin.