A Thai man has lost his vision after using herbal medicine, say reports.
Thailand's Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Deputy Secretary Pathom Sawanpanyalert said ophthalmologists have informed authorities about the incident.
The 41-year-old man developed a severe infection in his left eye after using the herbal drops, the Bangkok Post reported.
An eye specialist who operated on the infected eye said bacteria pseudomonas aeruginosa was found in the eye and also in the herbal medicine he was using.
Pathom said the bacteria was the main reason for the infection of the retina which resulted in blindness. The herbal eye drops did not have FDA approval, which was required.
The label stated that the eye drops could be used for the relief of pinkeye, trachoma and cataracts, but there is no information about the ingredients.