While we get busy celebrating festivals, our bodies work overtime to digest the heavy festive food. These delicious food items put pressure on our liver and digestive system. Control your diet to enjoy the festivities.
Dolly Kumar, director, GAIA, suggests how to strengthen our liver and digestive system before this upcoming festive season-
* Reduce caffeine intake- Excessive caffeine intake (more than two cups a day) slows down the detoxification process of the liver, slowing down digestion. Switch over to green tea that contains little caffeine.
* Cut down on sugar- High amounts of sugar puts pressure on your liver to convert the fructose in it to fat in the blood. Add natural sweeteners such as honey to reduce the build-up of toxins in the liver and boost digestion.
* Curb the intake of dairy products- High consumption of dairy products (except yoghurt) builds mucus in the liver and results in increased build up of toxins and slower digestion. Use plant-based protein sources such as lentils that are easier to digest to meet the daily protein requirements.
* Increase fiber intake- Fiber cleanses the digestive system and puts less pressure on the liver to digest food. Add some oats to your diet that have high fiber and protein content.
* Switch to lighter oils- Heavier oils such as sesame seed oil and vegetable oil puts a lot of pressure on the liver. Switch to oils such as flaxseed and olive that are easier to break down and absorb by the body.