Medindia

X

Snake Bite Victim Succumbs After Being Wrongly Treated for a Stroke

by Savitha C Muppala on  November 7, 2013 at 11:24 PM General Health News   - G J E 4
A NSW woman succumbed to a snake bite due to misdiagnosis after she was treated for a stroke instead of a snake bite.

This 59 year old woman was found by her husband in the garden where she had collapsed after the bite.
 Snake Bite Victim Succumbs After Being Wrongly Treated for a Stroke
Snake Bite Victim Succumbs After Being Wrongly Treated for a Stroke
Advertisement

She was treated by paramedics for half an hour and later rushed to John Hunter Hospital, where her symptoms were thought to be that of a stroke.

Advertisement
When she did not respond to treatment, doctors discovered two puncture marks on her ankle. By then, it was too late and the woman could not survive.

Toxicology researcher Geoff Isbister said "The venom stops their blood clotting and people suffer haemorrhaging, often in the head, or anywhere. Last season we had six deaths across Australia, which is the worst recorded season."



Source: Medindia
Advertisement

Post your Comments

Comments should be on the topic and should not be abusive. The editorial team reserves the right to review and moderate the comments posted on the site.
User Avatar
* Your comment can be maximum of 2500 characters
Notify me when reply is posted I agree to the terms and conditions

You May Also Like

Advertisement
View All